Saturday, June 25, 2005

Bass! How low can you go?

So I'm home cold lampin' it and whatnot and I decided to put on Public Enemy's It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back...damn, my feelings are hurt! I have not listened to this album in ages but the minute I put it on it reminded me of being 14 years old with my black ass listening to college radio in...very pale...Santa Cruz and getting my enlightenment on.

I mean hell, my family is from the DEEP, DEEP get a rope south (Mobile, Alabama, y'all) so I knew the deal at a very early age but man, this was the album that got me wanting to learn more about Black history, the Black Panthers and hell I even thought Raiders gear was cool cause of Chuck D*.

Moral of the story, this album is IT. It needs to be revered and respected. Special shout out to the Bomb Squad**. Hands down...one of the BEST production teams in not only hip-hop/rap but in all of the musical landscape. Those gentlemen were and still ahead of the curve. Curtsy.

*Quick story: My freshman year in college a friend of mine at the time was going to interview George Clinton and a few of us went with her to the show at Tramps. So I'm 18 and I'm just chilling, just happy to have gone to a George Clinton show so we are hanging around upstairs as she is downstairs doing the interview and we are chatting with the security dude there trying to convince him we are harmless and to let us downstairs (Tony, he.is.the.shit...and now head of security at Bowery Ballroom, got the heart of goddamn champion). After about 2 hours he lets us go down to meet up with our friend and meet George Clinton. About 10 steps down who is coming up, passes me, and says, "Hello, how are you doing?" Chuck motherfucking D son! Yes, I was gobsmacked and barely could muster a "Hi". I could really give a donkey about 99.9% of the celebrity set but that just hit me right there...I idolized this man and his ideology for years and it was just the best. Lord, I need a moment.

**Just listen to "Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos" and try to step to me. Shocklee, Ryder, Sadler...brava.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home