Thursday, June 16, 2005

Don't believe the hype

Saw Rize last night with Mr. Read...and pretty happy I didn't pay for it.

Brief Synopsis:
David La Chappelle is shooting the "Dirrty" video like 90 years ago in LA and hears about this underground dance scene based in areas like South Central and Long Beach...it's called Clowning/Krumping. Heads get involved in this movement instead of acting a fool and joining gangs...they dance some shit out and it's pretty fierce. He grabs a camera and starts shooting it. Voila, ya got a Sundance favorite.

Okay, there you go...

I know everyone is acting like this is some life altering work here (that would be Chappelle's Show Season 3 if it ever happen....DARKNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!) but for real...I was sitting there and not caring as much as I wanted to.

Brother La Chappelle...let me just throw out a positive. Glad you were there to capture some thoughtful colored folks that had something to say and were not acting up but shit, was I watching an informercial or a doc? Tell me that.

The narrative was weak and so many "characters" were thrown around I lost count of who was who, where they came from and how many times I could watch the booty clap without feeling like I was in the middle of a Luke video ("Face Down, Ass Up"...classic, you better work...I just like to mention Luther Campbell whenever I can). I really wanted to love this flick and I didn't...Bums me the Fuji out. Just like I wanted to love Kicking & Screaming, the Will ferrule joint. Don't get me started on that.

Moral of the story...There is a reason you got an editor and story editor son.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home