Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Trent Reznor: Bigger & Blacker

Last night my girl Aly Corn and I had a fucking ball at the Nine Inch Nails show at Hammerstein in the...yeah, what, mezzanine. To the left, to the right, now dip it. It was fucking awesome. And if I might be so bold I shall say that the set last night was better than...gasp...the set at Coachella.

First off this needs to be said: It is both frightening and alluring that Mr. Reznor is now cut as hell. I mean, I'm like scared but not. Someone got a Bally's membership for Christmas and is working that shit out. I'm totally into buying a ticket to that gunshow. Oh shut up! That shit was funny trick.

Oh, should l get to the music? Here we go...

I was beyond stoked by how varied the set was...mad shit off of Pretty Hate Machine that made me happy as hell and he worked the Broken EP...holla! Just in case you were wondering "Bite the Hands that Feeds" just came on in my office. One, two, three, four...now take it the ground. Man, I love this new album...seriously, it's like old Trent took a cup of Pretty Hate, some Broken, and little Downward Spiral and a sprig of "love" and made this fabulous and hearty stew of musical goodness. I heart that shit.

Trent and those boys played their little hearts out and all of us were really appreciative...and can I just take a moment to comment on how there was always an underlying groove going on. Seriously I was shaking it like I was at the clubs. Or maybe I was hearing some other shit in my head. Whatever, brotha can get down in it. Did you get that? That was for the kids that went to high school around 88-94. I know my demo son.

Other highlights:
*Seeing Tanya and Rob Mancini at the show...and having Tanya refer to Trent's new physique as being Glenn Danzig like from a distance. That was comedy. Slag is funny.
*My friend Aly for telling me stories about shooting NIN when they were on tour for the Fragile while we were at the show...she is the coolest person. She's never bragging, just telling an informative tale.
*Running into my friend Alex (he is foreign and his barely there accent makes me laugh) and my friend Dennis...who is just the best and gives the most loving hugs. That's my dawg right up in there. He is opening a new bar up this weekend in Astoria called "The Sparrow"...you need to represent!
*The NIN drummer (Jerome Dillion)...like I said before...he is on fire. Also, in case you were taking notes, there is nothing fiercer than a white boy named "Jerome". Holla black.
*The fact that Chris Rock was there is amusing...according to my friend Jess who read it on Gawker. That just makes me smile. If Dave Chappelle was not losing it and was there I would have TRIPPED.
*To get real "Queer Eye" on you...the lighting and staging were bad ass. Yes, that was really extra right there but I felt there needed to be some love given to the art director on that bitch.

In summation...sucks if you weren't there. It was a blast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home