Monday, April 25, 2005

Grandpa got down son!

Saturday night Mr. Read and I went to see the legendary king of ska, Desmond Dekker and it was two-tonetastic!

I got into Mr. Dekker (ne Desmond Dacres) when I heard "Israelites" as it was played over the closing credits in Gus Van Sant's BEST film, Drugstore Cowboy*, and have been loving this man's voice and style since...dang, when was that, it was my freshman year in high school...1989. Lordy, like sand through the hourglass these ARE the days of our motherfucking lives. Alright now!

Okay, so I have never seen this man before but I'm fan and I was excited...but being excited doesn't mean some shit ain't gunna stank up the joint. With that being said...it was completely and utterly broughten son.

I knew it was going to get gully when I saw a throng of "good" skinheads looking for the coat check (yes, just cause they have less hair doesn't mean they don't get overheated too and need to drop off their "unity" gear) and skanking to the beat was going to be had. When we got into the main room of the Knit it was as packed as the Amistad and I'm pretty sure just as goddamn hot. We went up to the balcony where is was hotter than a 5 dollar Laotian's vagina but the eye line was fresh so that is where mama made her home.

Well the band comes out, the crowd trips--hype man rolls next, crowd is on point--and then BAM...63 year old Desmond Dekker comes out in a sheer black shirt (with silver flecks of course), jaunty UN peacekeeping like chapeau and leather pants and the rooms loses it's mind. I have said many a thing have been fierce on this here blog but for real...this was the.fiercest.thing.ever.

He broke into his first song and the crowd LOST it. And I'm not talking just oh this fun, glad we came out on a rainy Saturday night kind of thing, we're talking about fools that have been in the old skool ska scene for years that have been WAITING to see this man tear it up and they were not going to hold back. At this moment I have to give a few shout outs cause it really was the vibe of the room that made this one of the best shows I have seen in ages. Here we go:

1) To the crowd for being so amped it hurt my feelings. It seemed like everyone in the house knew all the words to each song. If they didn't they sure as hell pretended they did and just danced it out. The DD has to have at least 40 years on the majority of the fans and everyone of em treated him like he was a ROCK STAR...the respect level was huge...there was a lot of love y'all. A lot of love. Shit, I'm touched.

2) The kid at the front of the stage (right) with the glasses, tats and a lot of energy. You young man...the heart of a champion. He was singing along to every song, dancing, and turning to the crowd to hype them up. I was riveted. That is getting your money's worth right there.

3) The gang of "good" skinheads that were shouting out song requests and thinking they were at a soccer match...but not hurting anyone. They were just linking arms dancing together and getting their ska on. It was like a bunch of Elias Koteas's in Some Kind of Wonderful just doing what they do and hoping to bring everyone along for the ride.

4) The 17 year old looking kid that got himself on stage and put his arm around the DD...that you know his friend's photographed. That totally made his year. Precious.

It was like going to Mecca for some of these fine folks. The digital cameras were out and they were taking pics like he was...dag, I don't know, Pope Benny XIV or say, Nipsey Russell. It was that fresh! When the kids had their hands stretched out (I would make another holy reference but I believe I maxed out my quota) DD made sure to grab each and everyone. And yes, I know because I watched him do it. Like the late great ODB (aka Big Baby Jesus, aka Osiris, aka a lot of other bullshit) he does it for the kids. Head down for a moment of reflection y'all.

The finest moment of clarity happened when my man did "Israelites" and it was not just him doing it that was great but the lead up. He started the beginning of the song then stopped and went off stage and then the hype man got the crowd all worked into a frenzy for him to come back out and the hooting and hollering was damn near deafening. I have never, never, never, never heard it get extra up at the Knit like that and I have seen quite a few bad ass shows there (PJ Harvey anyone?). I was so excited I could have crushed a baby duck but luckily there were none around. I would have been bummed if that shit had happened. Cute things shouldn't die.

Moral of the story. This brother got his 40 acres and a mule from the predominately Anglo crowd** and he deserved it dammit. My man has been working hard and needs some love. Kids, it was all the way live.

*Put Drugstore Cowboy on your queue...amazing film, not movie...FILM. Matt Dillion's finest hour.

**Where are my people?! There were like 4 other Negroes at the show. Damb shame, damb shame. That is some black history folks, represent! Okay, getting off my high horse, the altitude is making me queasy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Miss Tanya said...

Never leave a hat on the bed.

April 26, 2005 at 10:14 AM  
Blogger Erika said...

Matt Dillon is like a prophet or something...probably more like something but that was a good line. Nice looking out. Heather Graham totally had it coming son...

April 29, 2005 at 12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home