Wednesday, February 02, 2005

I just want to take a moment...

...to give a special shout out to the amazing Mr. Arthur James Solomon.

First off I have to let it be known that I met Artie through my friend Latasha, if I don't say that she gets all sorts of extra black and angry and starts screaming about how I stole her "gay". Calm down honey, I have a stable of my own "gays". Aren't they just grand?!

Anyway, I never took a moment to bring up how Artie got me to sign up for the Move Against AIDS dance-a-thon that happened in December. If it wasn't for homes I would not have shaken what my mama gave me or raised $1,375...thanks everyone! For real, I'm touched that my people came through with the ducats...heart of champions all of y'all!

Because of the inspiration and soul of Artie we created what will be a one day legendary dance troupe...The Black Booty Express. We will be having guerilla style performances popping up all over the city every month. It's dance, it's art, it's sexy. Don't look it straight in the eye, you will go blind. At the dance-a-thon Artie, Latasha and myself came up with moves that shut em down. Until you see 6'5" Artie slide across the floor and through my legs (yeah, I'm 5'0" so we're talking some skill) you have not seen dance and sport combined so effortlessly.

It was at Latasha's 21st birthday (you like that girl) in which we combined all of our moves and took it to the next level. There are very few people that I would let pick me up, swing me from side to side, through the legs and then freestyle it then Artie. If you look up fun in the dictionary there is a picture of Artie all fierce and backlit properly. It was after this moment that we realized that our performance pieces are really for us because you know what...life is for having fun and acting a fool and too many people are too cool for skool for that so Artie and I must pick up the slack. You give till it hurts. And it does hurt, cause the next day my back was killing me. I'm not as limber as I used to be.

Next up--Artie is just genius. It's as simple as that. He says the best things at the right times and he is just him. Being a good "you" is just rad. Not being pithy, just being honest. Love the motherfucker. Oh, and he tells me when I'm being retarded and "blocking my blessings" or whatever Oprahesque/Kahlil Gibran/Dali Lama/Tony Little mantra he likes to throw my way when it needs to said. I appreciate it.

So that is that...sometimes you need to throw out tributes to make sure the world that we live in is balanced.

Fresh.

And one more thing...Artie is the one that sent me the below link...it is what you would call awesome.

http://www.overheardinnewyork.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home