Friday, March 25, 2005

Last night the shit was broughten!

Um, how do I begin to talk about how amazing and gutwrenchingly RAWK last night's Queens of the Stone Age show was? I mean, for real, I'm still all a flutter and giddy on how much damn fun I had seeing my favorite band and having them rock me a like a damn hurricane. Shit, whatever, I'm so ready to embrace the fact that I'm about to sound like a 14 year old with my adoration and whatever but I don't give a fuck, not a solitary skullfuck.

Okay, so the show was at Webster Hall and despite it being a hollow bit of clubland "glory" it really is a great venue for a rock act...saw the Hives there and it was super. Oh let's stop with the background and get to the rawk...

I was with the lovely Aly Corn and Renee Frisch* and we got there around 8:40...got a good spot in the balcony area and they went on at 9:30...sorry Aly, I know I was like they are going on at 8:45 and freaking out but shit, at least we got there to get a spot...and when they went on it was SO OVER!

This curtain comes down and pa-dow it was like the Hammer of the damn Gods up in there. Now I know that people say that New York crowds are jaded but if you were at the show last night you know that that was not the case. But hell, it's hard to be jaded when you are seeing a band PLAY their instruments like it's just second nature and seeing them have the crowd in the palm of their hand...and rightfully so I might add! This is a band that needs to give major symposiums on how to just be awesome. Unfortunately it might be a waste of time because these new rock jacks can't learn that shit so they all should just sit down and come to terms with the fact that they will NEVER be as good as QOTSA. Not on CD, vinyl or cassette form and certainly not live.

I have seen QOTSA four times now and this show was the BEST...and blah, blah, blah...yeah, it was wikked awesome when Dave Grohl was drumming for them...that is a given, we all loved that, but answer me this...have you seen the power of Joey Castillo. Is that a no? Okay, well then Google the motherfucker. This man is a MONSTER. There were times when I thought his arms were going to come off of his body he was drumming so hard and fast...I was scurred of him...shit. My man was working hard. And oh yeah, he's Mexican and I love Mexicans. That makes him superduper bad.

So while I'm at it, let me just give some shout outs to the rest of the band:

Troy Van Leeuwan: Besides being a sharp as hell dresser, no for real, brother is tight as fuck, this man is a great instrumentalist and brings it. He played the gee-tar, the slide gee-tar, the bass and still kept his tie on and his vibe fresh. Daddy, keep doing you.

Mark Lanegan: Sweet Jesus...at this point you all know how I feel about this man. He's got just the smoothest/roughest voice. Him and Josh sounded like magic together and I was just in awe. PLEASE, if you don't have his solo work, slap yourself in the face and rectify that right quick.

New folks--Natasha Shneider and Alain Johannes. Okay, they have worked on the Desert Sessions project and their own shit for years (oh, and with Chris Cornell...rad)...these folks are COOL as hell. From my little balcony perch it looked like Ms. Shneider was working out a Diamanda Galas thang and for that I say...thank you, thank you so much because that is my lady right there. Natasha was pounding the keys and it wasn't background nonsense, it was there because it needed to be. And Mr. Johannes, I love that name, was playing gee-tar and bass and just was showing the kids how it was done.

Now let me just take a moment to wax on about the ringleader, Mr. Joshua Homme. Sigh. This is what you call a frontman. Tall, some attitude, but not too much, a great player and sexy too boot. Swoon, like swoon squared. He commands the stage not just with his presense but with how GOOD he is...he can fucking play, not kinda, but totally. I mean, there were men squealing like little bitches with joy just to be near the stage and getting to hear the man do his thing and that is beyond swell. After each song I would turn to Renee and be like, "Did you hear that? That is rad!" And she would look at me and just freak out too. Yeah, we were tripping a lot! Josh, I heart you, end o'story. Did I say he was sexy as hell? Just want to make sure that comes across.

The band played for TWO FULL HOURS and I could have taken another hour! The majority of the songs were from the last two albums but they threw in some classics just to mix it up. When they did "Avon" from their FIRST album I was just besides myself. Oh, and the drum breakdown in there...that is where that monster Castillo action really comes in play. Dang my brotha, dang! Andholyfuckingshit...when they did my FAVORITE song, "A Song For the Dead" I bout busted a casket...there is not way I can describe how brutal and heavy and bluesy this song is and live...well it's just ovah! Everytime I have heard them do it I've been like that is how you play a song--but this time they floored me to the point where I'm not going to try and describe the awesomeness of it. You missed it, you suck. Sorry.

Man, so all I have to say is find a way to see this band on this tour. If you have to take a hostage or set your family on fire, do it. It will be worth the time you will have to spend in the Po-Po for it...and don't forget, all of your new jailmates will love to hear how QOTSA brought it!

SuperRAWK!


*I wanna give a few moment to some fresh folks:

Aly Corn for coming and bringing the rawk even though she left early...she is so metal it hurts. Love you boo. Oh, and the fact that she threatened to throw a girl over the balcony makes her extra coo.

Renee Frisch for being awesome and coming to join the QOTSA train. She is a fan and knows how to wig out accordingly with me. Extra points for staying out till 2:30 in the morn and kicking me in the leg when we saw Josh and Brody at Niagara after the show...I'm sorry, did I drop a few names, yeah, I did. Sorry, remember, I'm still giddy.

Shari Scorca for coming back to the NYC to visit and celebrate her 29th b'day...work it out girl...and just being fabulously foul during the show...bitch, I agree with EVERYTHING you said. Coachella is going to be awesome.

Robert Mancini for just being the Mancini. Dude, was there and in charge. I heart this man to no end and he embraces the power of the QOTSA. You are IT...no joke! Oh and he's married to my friend Tanya which makes him better than the majority of the world population.

To the negress on the other side of the balcony that was doing "the wop". Glad to see more of my people in the fray and getting fresh with it. It was a hot look.

And finally to the sexy people that were not at the show, and you know who you are...remember they will be coming back to the city...you best jump on that train...wut, wut!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home