Tuesday, March 22, 2005

I'm not going to back down completely but I might step down slightly for like a minute

Many a folk know that I'm not all on the Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst train. Like the whole love fest screams of Scientology to me but I got to say this...

I just saw the video for "First Day of My Life" and my shit was like...gulp...touched and whatnot. Let me try and convey the spirit of this video. Okay, snuggle up to screen so we can all capture the moment.

Um, so when it first came on and I saw it was directed by John Cameron Mitchell I was like:
A) Damn, Conor must have one hell of a budget cause his ass got a "faux auteur"...I did enjoy Hedwig I must say
and
B) Oh shit, is this going to be ridiculously arty cause I'm really not in the mood

But that quickly went away...

So the premise is for loved ones (couples, families, a preggers woman, a dog(!)) to be on a couch and they are listening to a really sweet lovey dovey song together, each with their own set of headphones. Some of the folks are all romantics, others are jokey, some are introspective but each group doesn't seem contrived at all. You can tell these are real couples from a variety of different backgrounds and they are hearing this song for the first time...it's like tender son, like real tender. And another key point...it's just so simple and not a gimmick and I love that. No special effects, no Eric Roberts cameo (you hear me Killers? I got your number!) just letting your hear a good song.

So there you go, I gave props to Conor (and subsequently John Cameron Mitchell) and my body is not rejecting it...it actually is warm and fuzzy about it. Pretty song and a great video. It's official, in my old age I'm getting soft and you know what, I totally feel good about it.

Oh, but I will still will cut fools that step to me, that ain't going to change.

The full length video:
http://www.mtv.com/bands/az/bright_eyes/artist.jhtml

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home