Thursday, November 11, 2004

Really, this is a DAMN good album

Just went out and got The Clarence Greenwood Recording from Citizen Cope (aka Clarence Greenwood) tonight...and lordy, I'm already on my second listen of the whole album, beginning to end y'all.

I really don't want to throw that "blue-eyed soul" insignia on this young man, but honeychile...I don't know how to breakdown how heartful and in-turn soulful and smooth this thing is. If you know of Shuggie Otis this will give you a small hint of the kind of stylings I'm talking about...but that is just start.

I had heard of Citizen Cope ages ago but never checked him out. In the last couple of months my trusty kexp.org has been playing tracks of his like someone is going to get hurt--and lord have mercy each time I have been getting more and more sucked in. You know when you listen to tracks that have a vibe that is both familiar and new? I mean, try and work with me here, it might not seem to make sense but take a listen and you will roll my way.

This is an album of pure musicianship...end of story. Now you might know that Carlos Santana is on one track (fuck, if my mom had an album brah man would be on it, but whatever) but that doesn't tickle my fancy, what does is having Me'Shell N'degeocello on a cut...I heart that woman. Let me digress for a second...this woman is BASS. She has paved her own road of fierceness that is unparalleled and I don't want to hear another word about it. Pick up Peace Beyond Passion and Cookie: The Anthropological Mixtape and let us have discussion...she kills it. And baby, open a weekly rag, find out when mama is touring again and get yourself a ticket to one her shows. Ms. N'degeocello will make you forget where you are and you will act a fool...genius.

On that note "Sideways", the song that features Ms. N, is at the moment living in a nice little section of my head and I planning on humming this motherfucker until I can no longer.

So to sum it up, Mr. Greenwood has a voice that you can wrap around you like a soft blanket on a chilly ass night and a whole other thing that will throw a sexy little shuffle in your step whether you want it to not. Work it out daddy, work it out...

Key Tracks:
"Sideways"
"Bullet and a Target"
"Son's Gonna Rise"
"My Way Home"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home