Tuesday, January 31, 2006

It's a sad, sad day...

First off the lovely Ms. Coretta Scott King passes today (time to be with your boo, it's going to be all good) and then Terrence Howard gets nominated for a Best Actor Oscar for Hustle & Flow.

Seriously, what was the point of the good Rev. Dr. King and Mrs. King making moves--so my people could be treated like humans and not chattel--if you are going to play some brotha who is a pimp turned rapper and then get cannonized for it?! Lord, help me on my journey.

For real, this movie was SO bad my feelings were hurt for days. I'm so over the Academy trying to seem diverse and nominate these roles--and bad acting if you ask me. Halle Berry in Monster's Ball anyone? When their version of diversity is praising roles that are so effin' stereotypical it makes me want to spit. Um, and white critics, please don't try and tell me this is a movie about redemption. Suckit. I'm going to cut something, I swear I will.

Okay, I'm going to settle. Let me get back to my tribute to Mrs. King.

So yes, everyone take a moment and praise a woman that kept the march going on after her man was assassinated. Also, special shout out for the fact that this was a black woman that attended the New England Conservatory of Music in the 40's...a black woman from rural Alabama. That is deep.

Godspeed Mrs. King, Godspeed....
http://www.gale.com/free_resources/whm/bio/king_c_s.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home