Saturday, January 21, 2006

Super Tuesday: Music you NEED

Children, I have been sleepin' with my music recs. I mean for real, I'm like that mom that stays in her nightie (and locked in the bedroom) for 5 days at a time alternating between clinical depression sleep and tears of despair. I have failed you--I'm here to make it up. Seriously, I promise, it won't be like last time.

That being said...here are my two picks for CD purchases today!

1) Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twins-Rabbit Fur Coat
Um, I love this album. Like if someone stole it from me I would get a bounty hunter and shit would be settled. You don't need to know the details. This is a delightful disc full of countrified/gospel/white gurl soul/grown ass pop ditties...and honey, it never gets old, and I have had it for like 2 months now. Jenny Lewis does her thing with Rilo Kiley, as their lead singer, but she is on some other level shit with this album. You know that song "i never" on the More Adventurous album? The one where she is taking it to church about the love of a good man? Well take that vibe, flip it and reverse, then maybe flip it again and you got it here. She is working that voice and her storytelling skills are on point. Throw in the Watson Twins, real twin gospel singers reared in Kentucky, and you will believe in the Lord Almighty. Don't eff with me. Get this album.

Key Tracks:
"Run Devil Run"
"The Big Guns"
"Rise Up With Fists!"
"Born Secular"
"Melt Your Heart"

2) Cat Power-The Greatest
I've always thought old girl was batshit insane and was never a big fan of her sad ass voice (I do though love me some "He War" from You are Free)--so color me mocha-ish when I heard her latest album and I FELL in love with it. It helps that Chan Marshall, aka Cat Power, is a grown ass woman now and might have worked some of her shit out cause the gorgeous songs on this one don't make me want to slap the melancholy out of her. I mean don't get me wrong, "Old Sad Eyes" is still a bummer but she has mixed it up the bit. Also, when you get some of Al Green's players from the 70's to back you you have got me on lock. From disdain to love...that is deep. Hey, after you listen to "Love & Communication" you will totally understand. Nice play Meow Mix, nice play.

Key Tracks:
"Willie"
"Love & Communication"
"The Greatest"
"Living Proof"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home