Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Music I'm enjoying...cause I know you really, really care

Let's just cut to the chase...

*Bettye Lavette is it. She is one of those delights where you are pissed you were not hip to her before. Her new album of covers, I've Got My Own Hell to Raise, makes me want to run out and have people listen to it on my IPOD. Why? Because I'm a giver. Don't get me started on how sexy and strong the track "Joy" is because I will go on for days about it. Lady Ms. Lavette is an amazing old school soul singer from the 60's that needs her recognition and she needs it now...and her producer/supporter, the musician Joe Henry, is doing his best to make sure she gets it.

Ms. Lavette covers artists ranging from Lucinda Williams ("Joy") to Aimee Mann ("How Am I Different") to Fiona Apple ("Sleep to Dream") and hell, all of these songs belong to her when the day is done. I have to say that I was longing for Fiona's version of "Sleep to Dream" but she had me at the before mentioned "Joy". The song that had me race out and get the album was "Just Say So" and let me warn you now: Prepare yourself if you are in a vulnerable state when you hear it because this is one of the sweetest, saddest heartbreak songs ever. I had to take a moment and tell myself not to get worked up because this was not my life here it was JUST a song.

Moral of the story, Bettye can mess you up...and I mean that in the best way.

http://www.bettyelavette.com/
http://www.anti.com/home.php

To my next obsession...

*Feist-Let it Die-I'm just going to say it now...the WHOLE album is just the thing for a lazy brunch day...maybe it's sunny or maybe there is a little misting going on outside. Hell, start a fire and listen to it while sipping some cocoa with some Frangelico in it...this is that album. It's whimsical, it's wise, it's just wonderful! Don't roll your eyes, when I can work in some choice alliteration I will. It's that kind of world I have created for myself.

Half of the album is written by Ms. Leslie Feist but the second half are covers...and can she work a Bee Gees song ("Inside and Out"). Whether it's her work or the work she is interpreting it all has that hushed and sexy undertone to it. It's not forced or contrived, it works beautifully with each one. The title track, "Let it Die", is a subtle love loss song that has just the right amount of vibes and crack of the voice that your feelings are hurt--but you don't quite want to drag a knife across the wrist. All is forgiven when the seductive "Leisure Suite" comes on (a song that would make Serge Gainsbourg proud, sans the French) and all is right with the damn world.

This Parisian based lass knows her way around the drama of romance and she bring it to the table on this album. It's the perfect soundtrack for trying to bring your inner thinking man's/woman's sex symbol out. And seriously, don't we all need that folks?

http://www.listentofeist.com/SITE/default.asp

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home