Saturday, October 01, 2005

Color me Calexico

It took me ages to jump on the Calexico bandwagon, but I would like to say right now that I'm glad that I'm there...it's a good feeling.

That being said I really must discuss why I listen to their EP Convict Pool EVERYSINGLEDAY. It's just, how do you say it, um, perfect. Yes, I know it, people like to throw the word perfect around but trust me, I'm not trying to lie to you about it here...I'm not on the payroll, just trying to spread the gospel.

My version of perfect is me being upset that I don't have ENOUGH music for one sitting, that I want to play it a few times again, and that is the case here. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's an EP, it's supposed to be short, that still doesn't make me feel good. My second version of perfect involves using guest vocalist Nicolai Dunger on your first track ("Alone Again Or"). His voice is sublime, yep, I said it, and they could have stopped right there and made me happy but they didn't. See the moment when I knew when Convict Pool had me at hola was when I was in a rental car with my mother as we were driving from El Paso, Texas to Marfa, Texas (with my head sticking out of the window like a suffocating puppy) and I thought, "Man, this is just right for driving across the plains and being happy for just existing, for whatever that is worth." Yes, I just had a tender moment, forgive me. That is what fresh air can do to you...or being near the Mexican border and feeling festive listening to the track "Corona". Seriously, get yourself some guac, chips and a pinata and tell me this is not the band for you. The vibe of this EP just makes you think things are good and that is pretty reassuring. Oh, oh, oh and they use an accordian on one track ("Praskovia")...I cannot begin to tell you how perfect that is.

So enjoy the cultural melange of the Calexico...you'll thank me for it one day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home