Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Extras: Good Stuff

So along with loving my DVR I am thoroughly enraptured with HBO on Demand...you know that thing that jacks my cable bill up to about $5K a month. That aside I watched the first episode of "Extras", the new Ricky Gervais show and this stuff is he.lar.ious! Let me break down what the premise it, thoughts on his other show "The Office" and my overall vibe. M'kay, check it.

It's quite simple...it's about extras working in England and they get A-list celebs to play themselves and interact with the said "extras". Now I tried, please believe me, tried to get into
"The Office" but for real...not my bag. Not my shoe or pantaloons either, ya dig? Anyway this show kills it. I enjoy bulletpoints so I'm going to explain the magic that way:

*Ricky's charter and a gal pal of his sit around talking about how she can talk dirty to her boyfriend on the phone. The Rickster is deliciously sarcastic.

*The always wonderful Kate Winslet, who plays a nun doing a holocaust flick, overhears this convo and gives the lass tips on how to talk dirty. Just image KW saying, "Start off with something playful and then you can get hardcore." Since "Heavenly Creatures" I have been on her junk.

*The introduction of a character that has cerebal palsy...like for real...not acting...that people think might be drunk or mental. They also have to ask her to repeat herself cause they can't make out what she is saying. That is real life, and real life can be really wrong and sack out funny too.

*Ricky lying about being Catholic to try and hook up with a nun extra...and to give the girl with the CP (her sister) hope after she asks him if he believes in God after she has given this "touching" concept on heaven and her thoughts on it. Oh yeah, he is mad atheist.

*KW getting caught pantomiming licking her own breast while making fun of the boyfriend that likes the dirty talk.

And the piece de resistance...

*When the KW tells the extra that the only reason she is doing a holocaust flick is to get an Oscar cause that is a lock and everyone wonders after four noms how she ain't got a golden man. Oh, and she busts out, "Like we need another holocaust movie...I mean, it was grim, we got it."

I love that trick.

Watch "Extras"...it rulz.

2 Comments:

Blogger Martha said...

Ah, you are my woman. You make me sad I've left Brooklyn for Hoboken. I have such a brain crush on Ricky Gervais...that he could lure the fabu Kate Winslet into such temptation. I mean, we knew she had it in her from "Eternal Sunshine," but it takes a special deviant to deviate her. Ricky is the one.

I'm happy about Kate Bush, too. Sad about Brock Peters, but quite possibly sadder about August Wilson, because I met him, and he was a fellow Pittsburgher, and, well, he changed the face of American theater.

I'm really here,
http://myfatcat.typepad.com/kindly_eccentric_middleag/

not in Blogger space much anymore.

October 4, 2005 at 2:40 PM  
Blogger Erika said...

Come back Martha...there is still room in the BK! Thanks for the shout out...and let's pray that Ricky doesn't let us down with Extras!

October 5, 2005 at 11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home