Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Netflix...back in my life

Since I've been freebasing my DVR lately I have neglected the wonders of the Netflix, but now I'm back and I would like to heap praise on a few choice titles. Be prepared to check it:

*End of the Century: The Story of the Ramones. Let me put this forth, I'm not a Ramones fan, not gunna front. Never have been, probably never will be. I won't be rocking a Ramones baby-tee from the Urban Outfitters, don't worry I shall not be that person. I will say though I got mad respect for what they did and paved the way for and shit, Joey seemed like a cool guy. I do heart my Jewish brethren...challah back! That out of the way, this is a really thoughtful AND thorough doc on the making and breaking of a band. You don't have to care about them to enjoy this flick, all you need to care about is music, and some simple and good documentary filmmaking. It's a nice look.

*Network. Yes, yes. I was a Journalism major at NY rob U blind. And yes, I'm doing the work of the Lord by being in television. That is why I'm doubly sad that it has taken me until 200andthe5 to see this film. That is what I said film...not a movie...it was a FILM. Man, Sidney Lumet and Paddy Chayefsky killed it with this one. Basically this film came out almost 30 plus years ago and spoke about the demise of the television, particularly, news and what those behind the scenes are willing to do to getting ratings. Back then it might have seemed far-fetched, watching it now, shit is not fair off the mark. Um yeah, they were psychic in the 70's.

On a non Netflix flick kick I watched Lackawanna Blues last night on the HBO2. Seriously, touching as hell multi-character based movie about a young man that was raised by a gem of a woman that took in all these wayward fools when no one else would...oh and she was fierce and threw great parties. That is always a plus with a parental figure. Besides dipping it low and whatnot it was just a great teleplay and I got all chocked up in the end. Why? Cause I'm a big old pussoir.

Do yourself a favor, have some me time and watch these joints. Carry on.

2 Comments:

Blogger heathalouise said...

Whoa, maybe the alma mater didn't want you to see Network unless you were in Tisch for film school. I just saw it this year, too! Did you see that Clooney is doing a remake of it for TV?

October 6, 2005 at 12:21 PM  
Blogger Erika said...

Oh that Clooney...he is everywhere!

October 6, 2005 at 1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home