Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Beck: Making hipsters happy from coast to coast

A few weeks ago (yes, I'm slacking, I know) me and my girl Yanna went to see Beck at the Hammerstein and let me tell you...he made me...and the throng of other 30 plus year old kids just glow with delight...early bird special, wut?!

Now all you need to do to make me thrilled is have a lanky man in a short-sleeve button up with a tie come out and play the tambourine while breaking it down You Got Served stylee. The dude in question that did it in this forum was named Brian, and Brian had me at his first lock and pop. It stopped being about Beck immediately and I was a Bri-Bri disciple. Not only did he booty clap his way into my heart but rocked the keys and percussion. He.killed.it.

The other highlight was when Beck did a throng of them sad ass songs from Sea Change (I'm not scurred to say it, I DID NOT like that album) all acoustic stylee...and here comes the highlight part...while a dinner table was set up on the stage so the band could sit and eat while he got self-indulgent. I mean come on...how bad ass is that?! Um, uber-bad ass is what it was. It got real gully when he busted into "Clap Hands", the phunkiest track on that album, with just his guetar and the band, while at the table, backed him up by "playing" the glasses, cups and plates. Did I work out some graphy? Yes, yes I did.

Here are some other highlights:

*Old dude did a ton of songs from Guero...thank you!
*He had a "DJ" that "spun" images from DVD's that were projected on a screen behind him. Technology is a trip y'all.
*The band was tight. Kids, take lessons.
*My seats were in the mezzanine. I live for that shit.
*The show, with encore, ended at 10:38...that is the new late night.

Lowlights...cause I would like to live a fair and balanced life:
*In between song lull was not cute. Dude, this ain't your first tour.
*Tall people felt the need to stand 80% of the time in front of me. We have seats jokers, use them.
*Beck is a Scientologist. That makes my fingers feel tight and swollen. If you knew me you would know I hate that feeling cause it effs up my jewerly selection.

Besides that...pretty awes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home