Monday, October 25, 2004

Yes, they took it to church

Thursday night I went to see the mighty, mighty Reverend Al Green and the marvelous Mavis Staples at the Apollo. And oh yes, it felt like the hand of God touched my brow and showed me the light. For real, sounds extra but if you have never seen the likes of the Rev. Green you really won't be able to feel me on this one.

I had never seen Ms. Staples before but I was aware of the Staples Singles oeuvre so I was pretty damn excited for her performance...and old girl did not let me down. Her band looked like a wedding band, which for some reason I found to be quite endearing and fantabulous. She sang her heart the hell out and was "moved" many times. Well I'm pretty sure it was "movement" because she would start pacing back and forth across the stage when there was a break in the song, or after it done, and would start shaking her hands. She was walking like a panther, and that is always a good look. Oh yeah, she was wearing a sequined top...my lovely, and dearly departed grandmother, hand to heaven, would have worn the same kind of top on a trek to Red Lobster so I was extra thrilled by the costume selection.

Soon after Mavis paved the way, The Reverend (yes, I will refer to him now only as The Reverend...if Madonna can be called Madonna, I believe The Reverend is more than valid, thanks for playing) came out and showed em all how it is DONE.

Now I have seen The Reverend about 4 times now but it is always a pleasure to see him come out in a FULL white suit with a bevy of red roses lined up on a piano to pass out to the ladies. Uh huh, he passes them out...one by damn one. And in case you were wondering, The Reverend has two back-up dancers. Two young men, I think they are like nephews...and yes, they do costume changes. Please don't hate the playa, don't even hate his damn game...The Reverend once had hot grits thrown in his face by a former "lady friend" during a fight (during his freebasing days)...so when you come out of something like that, you can do whatever the hell you want to do. Since I'm on the dancing tip let me just share this part. The Reverend not only was kicking some old school cheoreography but he would drop down to his knees when he really had a "point" to make. Do your thang daddy, do your thang. If only his manservent had come out with cape to drape over him would I had shed a tear...my lip quivered so that is something.

Dancers aside, my man, and his band were tight as hell. The band just knew they were working some shit out, maybe not enough for The Reverend because every 5 minutes he was telling them to "slow it down just a little more"...oh he's dramatic that Reverend! They slowed it, they broke it down, they brought it back up...shit, I think they might have flipped it and reversed it a few times if I'm not mistaken.

Now the high, high, highlight for me was when he did "Simply Beautiful". Honey, please just take a moment out of your day to listen to this song. Let me help you out. It's on the I'm Still in Love With You album (his best if you ask me, even if you don't ask me, I will let you tell you such, yeah, I'm a giver)...track 5 if you want to get there quicker. That song kills me EVERY DAMN TIME. And if you want to mix it up try and find the live version that Mike Patton does with Fantomas...Mr. Patton is always hurting feeling cause he is that good. But let me get back to giving The Reverend his dues.

My only fault with the show was that I felt like it was too short, but you know what, my man has been and continues to be the supreme Soul Singer (yeah, I capped it, what?!) of the last 30 plus years so if he needs to make one more hour in the day his "me" time I ain't mad. And since I was hungry as hell I was not that mad when it was done...we hit Lenox Lounge* and grubbed.

In summation, thank you Reverend Al Green...you are a legend and to be able to see and listen to you in person is an honor. Kids respect, if not, you will not have a place on my raft when the damn flood comes.

**Not only was the food good at the Lenox Lounge but there was a woman fronting an R&B cover band. This is not the important part. The important part was that was wearing a Christmas themed sweater, a jaunty chapeau and her arm was in a sling. I'm not asking any questions just giving a shout out cause sometimes you just need to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home