Tuesday, October 12, 2004

The Garden has officially been cleansed of the Republicans

Goddamn if I did not have the best damn time at the Beasties show this Saturday night!

This Saturday marked the 9th time I have seen those bustas tear shit up and I was NOT disappointed.

Okay so picture it. Ry Ry, Tom, Adrienne, Jess and I had some pre-game cocktails at mi casa...yeah, I'm mad bilingual and shit. Well not really but I do love Mexicans, but you all know that by now. Anyway, after making a very fabulous summer like drink for the kids (Absolut Manderin with Guava and Mango juice, oh yummy) and doling out Bagel Bites (TM) like I was motherfucking Jean-Georges we headed to the festivities. Before that happened though I have to give a shout out to the Ry Ry for still knowing how to make me laugh after I don't know how many years knowing him. Dude, for real, you are super duper it. And since I'm giving shouts here one more for him and Tom for bring me a box Jacques Torres chocolates. I'm a simple bitch. I like gifts for no reason. That shit is sexy. Big up for J. Brown for also bringing the heat and the yummiest Chocolate Chip and Pecan cookies ever. Okay, enough with my Kate's Secret talk right here. I'm scaring my own damn self.

Okay...on to the show.

Now for real, those gents...we're back on the Beasties right now, are like pushing 76...and I'm still just amazed and thrilled that they can pull a young crowd. I mean, I was stoked to see more than a gaggle of the 30 plus set but I was pleased as punch to see that kids that were just a glimmer in their mama's eye when Licensed to Ill came out all up in the game. Bravo honeychiles, bravo! And it was a pure pleasure to accompany Ry Ry and Tom to their first Beastie Boys show. To be a part of the "first time" was special...I felt like their mama, or a hooker, whichever. It was just fucking touching. Anyway...

I don't even know if I can properly recount the PURE magic that went on but let's say this. The Beasties OWN Madison Square Garden and they knew it. Hot I say, HOT! Not only did they do "Paul Revere" but they brought out Doug E. Fresh to beat box behind it. Yeah I said it...Doug big old E with a period at the end Fresh not dirty but Fresh. Get a book, learn your history and recognize. And then the boys gave a shout out to DMC who was in the audience. Oh, did I mention they were wearing matching green and yellow track suits? No irony just pure flyness. End scene.

Oh, and they KILLED "Brass Monkey". I was in heaven. Now yes, they kinda flubbed it when they started it and started it over again but it is not like I mind hearing the beginning of that song more than once. Flashback moment: I remember when I was at NYU and the fierce Valerie Grubman would hightail it to Avenue A (ohhhh scary in 93) to get that shit for us. Pure fucking cough syrup that was but that was the original crunk juice and lord knows that was the trash that would have you found ass up, face down. Ew lord...as Jerri Blank would say, "Good times, good times...." Whoot there it was.

For their encore they went into the 200's section and did "Intergalactic". Now I'm not trying to be a bitch but I got say this...for all of you folks that were like whatever I don't need to see the Beasties....YOU MISSED IT SUCKAS! The crowd lost it, the Beasties lost...everyone was acting like a damn fool and it was just glorious! It was like they knew that this was THEIR crowd and they were just as happy to be there as we were. Shit for $60 bucks more folks need to get their butts up in the stands...y'all got security, use it!

The crowning moment of the show was "Sabatoge" as the final song and it's dedication to that rascal George W. "I'm down with the syndrome" Bush. If that was not a fitting "tribute" I don't know what is. I was so amped that I was not upset that beer was splashed on me when the crowd got all sorts of extra. And lord knows that I usually will shiv a bitch between the 3rd and 4th ribs for some foolishness like that.

So to end this Afterschool Special here you go: The Beastie Boys still know how to do their thing and deserve all the respect and admiration they get from the masses...shit, they should get more just for Paul's Boutique alone. Yeah, I know everybody says they love that album but does everybody have it on cassette, CD, and vinyl? Did I hear a no? Okay then, sit down. Moral of the story. Great show, great pals and great times. I can't wait for the day to come when "The Sounds of Science" comes on the oldies channel and with a tear in my eye, and my young rugrats at my feet I say out loud, "Them were the days children, them were the days. Now rub mama's feet and make her a cocktail...and don't skimp on the vodka this time!" Sigh...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home