Wednesday, November 09, 2005

If you have to drown a baby to see this movie then do it

On my third day of being home sick from work, trying to fight my way against that bright light beckoning me "home", and the dementia dying down, I FINALLY popped in the Korean film "Oldboy" and let me tell you: Brilliant. Blown away. Like for real real, not for play play.

Brief synopsis:
A businessman is kidnapped and kept imprisoned for 15 years. After 15 years he is released and has to figure out why he was he there.

Right, right I know that sounds really simple but it is mad deep and I mean DEEP...I do not use caps lightly. The lead up to the end and the ending had me sitting in the dark, tissue to my face and tea perched in my hand saying out loud (and alone, cause I'm crazy), "You need to shut up! Are you kidding? Uh huh...lord have mercy". In other words, I was gobsmacked.

The United States needs not to worry about Koreans and their nuclear arms...they need to worry about them kicking ass with their cinema. Man, the American version, cause you know there will be one, staring Sarah Michelle Geller, Naomi Watts or some other actress that I'm baffled is famous, is going to suckit. Before that happens see this film.

Brava Chan-wook Park, brava. Damn.

1 Comments:

Blogger Hand Trouble said...

That's some high MFing praise. I'm going to move it up in my Netflix queue. And would you GET WELL already? What's with you?

November 10, 2005 at 2:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home