Thursday, February 24, 2005

Really not cute

So I motor my ass over to Virgin Megastore on Super Tuesday all primed to get the M.I.A. album I have been jonesing for. I first go to the M section...not there. I ask some worker bee* what is the deal and he sends me to the Dance/Electronica section (it really is a misnomer most of the time, but that is neither here nor there) and I start scrounging around. There is not any kind of indication of the M.I.A. around so I ask one or the "dance experts" what is going on and he is like, "Got no idea. We were supposed to get it today and didn't get squat but check later." Okay, so at this point I'm done with the Virgin Megastore Times Square and my soul is just crushed to the point of utter despair...like when they cancelled "My So-Called Life" crushed. With that I head to work and prepared to be bummed the whole day.

After the work obligation is a wrap I hobbit over to the Virgin Megastore in Union Square**, cause you know they be marking shit down and they usually have their shit way more locked than the joint in the Square. Have I mentioned lately how much I can't STAND Times Square and having to work in this pocket of American insanity? If not, there you go. Alright, now I'm there and I'm like what the fuck?! Where is the damn album. So this SUPER amped and helpful employee is feeling my pain and tells me they were supposed to get the shipment last night, didn't get shit and was at the listening party the week before so he don't know what the hell. He's thinking the hipsters were so hyped they couldn't work out the supply/demand ratio. Whatever brother, work it out. I'm just happy he was telling me something. Still didn't take away the hurt.

Now at this point I'm like this is just not cute. I jump on the phone and call Other Music cause in my mind I'm thinking they got to have gotten some copies cause they are OM and you know they think they are IT so they have got to have the hook up. Did you know that they are owned by the same fools that own Tower Records so Tower could have an indie connection? Don't say I don't educate. Tangent...I'm back. So I'm on the horn and dude is like it was SUPPOSED to come out but apparently the majors are courting homegurl to the point where they stalled the release and it might now come out on another label. Huh? I mean good for you I guess but fuck that noize! You already got the press out, the promos out and a release date...release the goddamn album! You can renegoiate on album two...just give me what I want and give it to me NOW.

Shit need to be worked out soon or I will not continue to pimp M.I.A...well, I will again after I get the album. I hear she drops it like it hot.

Fresh.

*When I say "worker bee" I'm not being degrading. I used to work at Wherehouse Records and Video...I loved it...and I was totally a worker bee. And you can be totally self-righteous when fools would buy beat music. That was hot.

**With my soul empty I ended up buying three albums that night. Here we go:
Jimmy Smith-Root Down Live!
Jimmy Smith-Back at the Chicken Shack
Brazilian Girls-Brazilian Girls

I was visiting some people a few floors up at the work and sashayed it into Mr. Robert Mancini's office and he leant me one of his Jimmy Smith albums and now I'm hooked. Nice looking out there son...much appreciated. Again, you are an inspiration. Have I mentioned lately what a great unit him and the Ms. Tanya Mancini are? If not I'm telling you now. Google those fuckers, they are awesome.

I saw the Brazilian Girls open for Van Hunt this summer at Prospect Park and they were pretty damn good. Read a lovely review somewhere, picked up the album and damn if I'm not feeling this lovely mix of bossa nova, trip-hop, world music and a bunch of other shit. Do yourself a solid and take a listen.

Fresh squared.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home