Monday, December 20, 2004

Yes, I have let it all sink in

Last week the magical Pixies hit our the fair city...and it was just that, magical. Sigh.

The first night I went was Sunday, the 11th with my friend/ex Steve...took him for his birthday (it was in September, get over it) cause that is the kind of nice gal that I am. When I got the tickets I was beyond thrilled because it was in the Mezz, mama is old, sitting down in the new black. For real. We got there about 2 hours before they went on to get a good seat and it was perfect. What was not perfect was sitting through the Datsuns set. Snooze. Sweet Jesus. Those gents are very competent musicians but do I need to hear you jam for about 9o minutes a song? If I wanted that jazz I would be into Phish, I'm not, please exit the stage please. BTW--Saw them at Southpaw, then they had no domestic distribution, therefore hungry, therefore better. Okay, moving on.

At 9:15 SHARP (Frank Black Francis and co. are NOT playing around) the joy of what is the Pixies hit the stage and everyone start squeeling like little girls at a Maroon 5 show...it was that BIG. They came out to a booming soundtrack behind then and launched into "Wave of Mutilation" (not the U.K. Surf version) and then just kept taking it to the next level.

There is NOTHING better than seeing the oldsters jamming the hell out and almost no one sat down in my area during the whole set (some of use leaned back cause our knees ain't what they use to be, you feel me don't you babies?). EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE was singing along to all of the songs like it was an "American Idol" audition. Most of us were more like William Hung, but that is okay, cause like the Hung, we all had the hearts of champions. Dudes that you know never show any emotion were pogoing and tripping out like no one's business. That right there is what a true rock show is about...just forgetting where you are at and doing you. The Pixies never really had any hits but the way their set flew so effortlessly along it was like all their songs were number one hits...I mean, we all acted like they were. It was this kind of vibe where you had to just take a moment and go, "Yeah, these are some classics, Petey Pablo's "Freek-a-leek" is hot, but I know I will not be in a room with thousands of fools singing along to it 15 years later." "Get Low" maybe...but I digress.

Their set was about an hour and a half and I could have taken more, but it's sexy how they kept us waiting for more. The beauty part was before they went into their encore they didn't leave the stage, they all took the applause, bonded, let us freak out some more and then went into two more songs. For real, I HATE having to wait for a band cause their egos say, "Hey let's duck in a hall, have a few Heinkens, take a bump off a models ass and then come out again TEN FUCKING MINUTES LATER"...bullshit, I say bullshit.

Anyway, they gave us kids a little bit more and then left us in awe. Joey and Dave are now bald as hell but are playing like champs...Kim looks like some off-kilter soccer mom (she got the hair cut and the sweater down...with a cig hanging for her mouth for some flare, love that angelic sounding bitch) and Frank/Charles/Black Francis...he is just, just...what do you say about a fat man who can move a room to tears (okay, that was a little extra)...fucking genius, just genius. And guess what? That is not even near to being an overstatement.

Dammit, it was a big, big love for the NYC.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home