Saturday, December 11, 2004

Just making a little comparison

And that is that the Pixies, with their 90 night stint at Hammerstein , are like the Allman Brothers Band. Okay, not really, but I'm pretty damn sure fools will be as amped to see them as those that see the ABA when they play for like 6 months straight EVERY year at the Beacon. Of course this will be sans dirty hippies, 30 minute jam sessions and someone screaming for "Whipping Post"*. In this case it will be hundreds of 30 somethings howling for "Debaser" and I'm not mad at that.

This last week alone I swear everyone I've had a conversation with was like, "Um, what night you going to see the Pixies", not asking if I like em, how's that skanker working out for you...just what night you going. And to answer you again, SUNDAY and WEDNESDAY suckas! Yep, I'm still as excited as a priest in a Chuck E. Cheese. Last night I was at Rope...a lovely bar with an amazing jukebox in Clinton Hill (um, any bar that has the FIRST two Queens of the Stone Age albums in their jukebox AND Public Enemy's It Takes a Nation...deserves great success) and I put on "Gigantic" and this chick flipped. All of a sudden she says to the owner/bartender Frank (I heart him, dude is cool in that "I'm French" and I'm just above it way) "I'm seeing them Sunday and Monday!" and I'm thinking, "It's not that kind of party in here sweetie...take it down a notch"...but then I was like let old girl have her moment...it's the fucking PIXIES and you know you are whipping thrilled too lil e (you like how I got my bell hooks on right there?).

You see, and I might have mentioned this before, but I'm going to say it again. This is most likely the first time a lot of folks are going to see this band...a band that was the catalyst for a lot of jokers out there now. And you know what? For those of us leaving our 20's and getting the 401K on to finally get to sing along to songs that WE thought were anthems it pretty damn good. People have been waiting for this a long time and unlike when Jane's Addiction had the nerve to call their "reunion" a "reunion" (don't pull that shit and not invite Eric Avery back) this group will come through...no one is letting anyone down here. They will come out there, play what we want to hear, not try to posture and just kill it. As Ms. Tanya Mancini says, they are going to get awesome.

So that's that, I'm going to back to listening to Kyuss, reading Budget Living and debating on whether or not I will make Oatmeal/Chocolate Chip cookies right now. Yum!

*I think "Whipping Post" is a killer song, I like that there is a negro in the Allman Brothers Band to keep it crazy real, and I enjoyed Gregg Allman's work in the film Rush...motherfucker was believable. Hell, playing a crazy ass drug dealer in the 70's probably not a BIG stretch. I'm not saying, I'm just saying. Regardless, he was cool and the movie was even cooler. Netflix that bad boy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home