Thursday, October 12, 2006

Them Big Girls Tore It Up!

Um, were you at the Basement Jaxx show last night at Webster Hall? Eww chile, if you weren't you gunna wish you were!

You know that I'm a WINNER (aka dork) and won tickets to see them, so already I was ready to have fun cuz free is the old and new black. Anyhoo, my girl Yanna was my date and we were ret to go. And by ret to go I mean ret to drop and get our eagles on. Okay, let me get to that chase being cut to...

At about 10:3o them tricks came on and KILLED it with Lisa Kekaula from the Bellrays on "Good Luck" and it was on from there. Full band and many a big black girl sangers...honeychile, it was like heaven. Only thing better would have been if Jennifer Holliday (circa 1981) came out and belted out some material from Dreamgirls...that is how blick and fabulous is was. You have NO idea how fierce the women were on stage. I mean a few of these ladies were so voluputous it would make many a grown man cry...and they could break a skinny bitch if pushed. They owned the room and owned us. It was a wrap. Let me continue...

The kicker was that I have not seen hipsters have such a great time in ages! It was a Wednesday my dears and the kids were in full effect. And I almost broke my damn neck workshopping some choreography that is bound to be commissioned by Fatima Robinson. It was that hot. There is nothing better than seeing people just let loose, DANCE and do their own thing. It was just...fun. I mean, when people stop trying to be cool and slick and just get their: sexy, dorky, funky, joyous, sweaty on it's bew-tee-ful. Don't hate. That was poignant.

Okay, the big finale: They did all the "hits" (as in songs that will never see the light of the Billboard charts but people in New York, Los Angeles, et al. love) and then busted out "Where's Your Head At?" and I was looking for the parametics...cause I knew somebody was gunna get hurt! I looked over the balcony to the floor and it was just a sea of sweaty folks tearing it up and my jaded, "I like to say home with my DVR and eat Thai fried rice with my dude cause I'm old and chile, I really don't want to go to a show that starts at 11", ass starting jumping up and down and almost fell down. Did I look foolish? Yes. Did I have a ball? Don't ask me a silly question. Shoot.

Moral of the story: I feel sorry if you weren't there. Even my feelings are hurt cause I had THAT much fun.

Blessings y'all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home