Thursday, June 01, 2006

Miss Leela James is bout to take you to church

Did I tell y'all I saw the Miss Leela on Tuesday? Did you say no honey? Oh well let me just break it down real quick like.

Homegirl came out on stage--at the Irving Plaza--like it was catfish and cornbread night at the revival. Here album, A Change is Gonna Come, is pretty darn good, her live show...too much! It was like having Mahalia Jackson, Aretha Franklin and a touch of Millie Jackson wrapped up in a lovely little package and given to you for Chaka Kwannza...it was that good.

She shook, she shimmed, sang and shouted and it gave me hope for the state of music...black music at that! I was so proud. She even broke it down towards the end of her set about just trying to be positive and not letting anyone break her down...and dammit she told us to do the same. Tear rolling down my wee mahogany cheek.

So this is what I'm telling you: If you have not already done so pick up her album and if you love the BK check her out at Prospect Park in July--for free*. Check out the schedule.

Keep on keeping on.

http://www.brooklynx.org/celebrate/schedule.asp

*Okay, they ask for a 3 dolla donation but that is pretty much free...don't trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home