Monday, May 22, 2006

Freaks & Geeks: Best.cancelled.show.ever

So this Friday I FINALLY finished all six discs of probably one of the FINEST shows ever to be cancelled...Freaks and Geeks. I know I get amped about a lot of things but seriously kids, all the hipster hype needs to be believed about this show. Jean-yus! Let me give you a breakdown of why I loved this show...

1-The use of Joan Jett's "Bad Reputation" as the theme song. I NEVER skipped that during any of the 18 episodes. Rulz.
2-The "Geeks" really looked and acted like geeks but were totally endearing...the kind of kids I always liked in high school cause I think I was bout 2 steps from being at that table at times.
3-Said "Freaks", same thing. The cute burnouts that never were hurtin' nobody but could scare the shit out of you cause they didn't give a fuck. Also, you know we were ALL friends in like the 3rd grade and then something changed in the 7th grade and clique hell began. Man, I hated junior high. Fuckpit.
4-That being said...all the actors are brilliantly cast and you care about each and everyone of them. My ass got involved.
5-The perfect mix of funny and sad without being retarded. Um, there was an episode where "Bill", one of the "Geeks", is dealing with his mom dating his gym teacher (already comedy gold). There are many levels of brilliance involved in that such as when--and this is so subtle--he asks his mom if she is going start "dancing" again cause her waitress job isn't paying enough. And when "Bill" and the gym teacher have a conversation about him dating his mom and "Bill's" reaction is IT. It goes from anger to sadness in two seconds--and when "Bill" starts to cry it's truly heartbreaking. I scared myself as I sat on my blackberry aphrodite couch with my eyes welling up. The power of television is profound.
6-There is NOTHING better than debating on whether to go to sleep or just watch ONE more episode. Totally LOST season 1 DVD.
7-James Franco is hot ("Daniel"). And Jason Segel ("Nick") is just super cute.
8-The dude that plays the guidence counselor slays me.
9-Linda Cardellini as "Lindsey Weir". She can do no better...I don't care what her mama or agent says.

Now I don't expect y'all to listen to me at all times but please, just this one time, please go to Netflix and put the whole season on your queue. Not one disc, ALL six. You will be pissed at yourself if you don't. And for real, I ain't got neither the time nor the energy to deal with your foolishness. It gives me cramps.

Your friend,
Erika

2 Comments:

Blogger heathalouise said...

I heart the Freaks and Geeks so much, that I wrote a paper on the use of music in that show. I love Bill...

May 23, 2006 at 9:09 AM  
Blogger Erika said...

I heart that kid. That peanut episode totally killed me. I would LOVE to read all your media criticism papers!

May 23, 2006 at 5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home