Monday, May 22, 2006

Tool PLUS the introduction of the Darkie Count 2006!

This is my venue to tell you what an awesome time I had at Tool on Saturday night at the City Center but this also my introduction to....

Darkie Count 2006: Reloaded! (Cause reloaded really does tie a room together, right?!)

With Darkie Count I will let you know how many other black folk were in attendence at the various rawk shows I attend. For real, for us negroes this is our way of making sure the Civil Rights moment is still alive cause, come on, Malcolm and Martin parished so we could be one of a handful of colored folks at Bowery Ballroom at anytime. God bless.

On to the show...

Alright, so the City Center is beyond awesome cause it's teeny tiny and our seats were SO good. Unlike at Coachella--where Maynard was a dot--I could see him working out his bizarro choreography and see how MASSIVE Danny Carey (drummer) is. No joke, he is a redwood tree...but bigger.

It was in this magnificant seat where I able to turn around and see Trey Anastasio--and that dude that looks like a monkey--of Phish walk in and go to soundboard and have some Tool fan start screaming, "Dude, it's TREY!", and watch people take out their camera phones for pics and run up for autographs. Um, never knew there was a Tool/Phish crossover crowd but apparently there is. Shit, I like Kelly Clarkson so I don't know why I'm surprised. I bet her and Maynard would get along. For real, I put 5 bucks on it. At this moment I looked to my left and I saw another negress...number 1.

So when the lights went down all of Long/Staten Island went buckwild as the gentlemen launched into "Stinkfist". And yeah, I was amped too...fist in the air and ready to take my top off. Not really but the concept is he-larious all the time. By the end of the song I saw not one but two other darkies...we're up to 3.

Some jackhole leaned over about 45 minutes into the show and asked Mr. Read if he could spread the word that he would buy a "roach" for 20 bucks. And of course I got all maternal and was like oh no...this will NOT be occuring! You know what is funny? Me about to turn 31. Oh, and I thought I saw another blick but she was just blue black Indian...they are crafty that way! We're still at 3.

At this point the set is pretty much exactly like it was at the Coachella but I didn't care cuz I was just happy to be there...and be there with the dude who had never seen the Tool. Yes, it got super romantic during "Sober". Nothing like a song about an abusive relationship to bring a couple together. Shit, the couples in front and behind us thought the same thing...you would have thought we were at a Coldplay show. Tear. I saw a Mexican at this point but not another black...hope my man had his papers in order cause these devils are scared!

Just when there was more rock than I could handle they stopped...sat on the stage...and let us clap for the encore. It was witty. They ended the show with "Aenima" which was just brutal. Again, same as with the Coachella show...but like a fine wine it ages so well. Oh and I was beside myself when I captured a nice pic of Maynard on my cellphone (which is now my wallpaper) I felt like Henri Cartier Bresson dammit! I'm totally 15...

Final summation of the show: Rad
Final Darkie Count: 4 (I caught a dude on the way out...shady!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home